online or from any store

2. Send us this message

[ Announcing a New Clean & Feature Rich WebSite ]

Place for all other topics

[ Announcing a New Clean & Feature Rich WebSite ]

Postby ASN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:55 am

Update Nov 04, 2020: Made a separate domain for the new website

Update OCT 30, 2020:

ASN wrote:I just finished a new stylish, flexible and mobile friendly view & temporarily made it the default style

Note that all the skins now have glowing frames based on the current movie popularity

#rainbow glow ( Top 100 in current popularity ) - like mulan in the above picture
#red glow ( 250 Most popular )
#orange ( 500 Most popular )
#yellow ( 1000 Most popular )
#green ( 2000 Most popular )
#blue ( 4000 Most popular )
#darker blue( 5000 Most popular )

Any suggestion/feedback is appreciated ;)

Update OCT 25, 2020:

ASN wrote:
Hello Guys,

I almost finished the site in terms of coding and layout, there are 5 major amazing additions since the last reply:

1- A multi-filtering menu where you can choose, sort and filter the movies in almost any way, it took me some time to figure out how to make it possible but the current result is phenomenal. there are countless options to sort the movies the way you like. I always wanted to make a sortable movie list like that. ;)

for example you could choose to show only the Comedy movies Rated 5 & above with at least 20,000 votes made from 2014-2020 and sorting that list by the current imdb popularity ... like the picture:

2-Like/Bookmark movies even for guests and then access the bookmarks list and sort & filter it the way you like (arrow #2 in the above picture)

3-Popularity meter that shows the current imdb popularity, it is the most efficient way if you are looking for new (but known) released movies to watch.

4-Customizable number of movies shown per page

5-Instantly show the movie trailer without leaving the page

Cheers ;)

Hello Everyone,

Since the current site is an aging phpbb forum with very limited functionality, I recently started coding & designing a new feature rich alternative. I am still working on it but it is almost done & I didn't want to wait any longer to share it with you.

The are countless new features and controls in the new site yet I made it as simple & minimalistic as possible. It is so simple & compact that you can access & sort every movie detail from a single-line forum-like style.

I can't list every detail about the site here but I'm posting some screenshots of the site at the end of this topic to show you the main features.

Go have a look and take your time to familiarize yourself with the site & you will have a never-ending sorting and browsing possibilities.

The site & styles might look a bit different in the future as they are still being edited!

We already posted every movie currently uploaded here & we will upload more movies at a faster pace to make the list even more comprehensive.

Don't forget to bookmark the page & Please remember that we removed all the ads long time ago & depend 100% on new premium purchases through our links to keep this site alive!

Page Link:
https://bestvids.net

Any suggestions/opinions are very welcome

Cheers ;)

The site Currently has 3 different styles of viewing

Choose the one that suits you. Sorting & styling stays the same with each visit

Default Normal Style

Compact Minimal Style
this is my favorite view ;)

Poster / Maximized Style

Example of a title Page

====================
===============
ASN
Site Admin

Re: [ Announcing a New Clean & Feature Rich WebSite ]

Postby Lupo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Basically the design looks nice and modern, but I prefer the current version.
Text is much easier to read, speed of the "old" site is faster, and the recent releases category is very helpful to immediately find the new movies.

I really appreciate your work on the new design. For me it is "overkill", because I am an "oldschool" user :geek:
Lupo

Postby scorrie » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Excellent work!!
With the demise of warez-bb and other sites this would be much needed.
We appreciate that not everyone will be happy with change but this may the right time to launch it.
Perhaps a music and ebook section (pm you with a few if you need any pointers) would be advantageous as well.
I would always come here as you never or very rarely would be let down with dead links.
Whatever you decide to do, wish you good luck and thanks for all that you do.
scorrie

Postby scorrie » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 pm

ps...I am an "oldschool" user as well
scorrie

Postby herbyderby » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 am

Nice work, ASN! Overall pleasing.

A few suggestions for the Default Normal Style:

1. The overall width could be wider:
Code: Select all
.wrapper {
   width: 75%; /* this was at 65% */
   min-width: 1100px; /* this was 1000 */
   margin: 0 auto;
   position: relative;
}

2. The Director and Cast line could use a little lovin' on the index. It's the second <div> (just under the description) in the <td class="r2">. I added an arbitrary class to it in the console.
.uc {
    font-size: 10px;
    text-transform: uppercase;
    margin-top: 8px;
    letter-spacing: 1px;
}

3. On the class ".block_short", I suggest a solid color instead of a texture "url(../images/module_box.png)." Perhaps a gray: #4a4a4a. It makes the blue text on top have a better contrast for visibility.

4. Font choice. I suggest something other than Arial. You could pull in a Google font from their API. A couple suggested options that have multiple weights, which feed into your design (you have everything from 400 to 600 weight):
• Source Sans Pro
• Lato
• Roboto Condensed (might help with longer titles, etc.)

Again, nice work! And thanks for such a great site!
herbyderby

Postby ASN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 am

Lupo wrote:Basically the design looks nice and modern, but I prefer the current version.
Text is much easier to read, speed of the "old" site is faster, and the recent releases category is very helpful to immediately find the new movies.

I really appreciate your work on the new design. For me it is "overkill", because I am an "oldschool" user :geek:

Appreciate your opinion, there are still a lot of work being done to fix the speed and readability issues

scorrie wrote:Excellent work!!
With the demise of warez-bb and other sites this would be much needed.
We appreciate that not everyone will be happy with change but this may the right time to launch it.
Perhaps a music and ebook section (pm you with a few if you need any pointers) would be advantageous as well.
I would always come here as you never or very rarely would be let down with dead links.
Whatever you decide to do, wish you good luck and thanks for all that you do.

Thanks scorrie, Probably I should've clarified in the first post that there is no intention to replace the old site with the new one, they both will co-exist & both will always be updated at the same time. You're free to choose the one for your liking. ;)

herbyderby wrote:Nice work, ASN! Overall pleasing.

A few suggestions for the Default Normal Style:

Thanks a lot herbyderby, I already made a lot of changes to the default theme since yesterday & I took all your suggestions into account. I used the suggested styling for the stars & director & increased the wrapper values to 70% & 1100px min, site looks out of shape beyond those numbers. I think using a solid grey color surrounded by many textures will make the site look very odd so I darkened the textures instead & I believe it now looks way better & more readable than before

This is how it looks right now

Cheers ;)
ASN
Site Admin

Postby Atari.2600 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:03 am

They look awesome! Cant wait to test it out!

Best Regards,
Atari.2600
Atari.2600

Postby ASN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 am

Atari.2600 wrote:They look awesome! Cant wait to test it out!

Best Regards,
Atari.2600

It is already there, the new site is hosted at the following subdomain @ https://best-movies.info/imdb/

you may better start by visiting the Top 250 IMDb List or the Oscar Winners and start sorting them the way you like ;)
ASN
Site Admin

Postby herbyderby » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Oi! Nice work, m8!

herbyderby

Postby Skorpeon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:33 am

Awesome work, since you say "work in progress" then I'll say awesome work so far Haha
I like how you made it 3 customizable versions in one as well, I did visit the page and tried the LOG-IN but it gave me an error, is this because I have to make a new Log-In or is it because its so new that you haven't adjusted this yet ... or am I just stupid and did something wrong because its new and I'm old?? LOL

Keep up the great work you and the other Admins do for all of us, we don't always say thanks on every post because honestly it would create loads of pages for admins to look through for issues I'd think so THANK YOU for all the hard work and keeping it all fresh and updated! :)
Skorpeon

Next

Return to General Discussion